• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

New Year's Resolution: Operation Improve Heart Health

Lady Codone

Bluelighter
Hi all! I'm a frequent (low-dose) user of some pretty questionable stimulants (propylhexedrine, mephedrone and methylone). Everyone in my family seems to die of heart-related conditions, I eat a shitload of salt and can feel emotional stress manifesting in my chest in the form of rapid heartbeat and other odd sensations. Needless to say, I worry about the health of my ol' ticker.

Basically, I'm looking for suggestions on how to help protect or improve my heart health in the New Year. Things I'm considering are cutting back on salt, exercising daily, reducing stimulant use (a little) and alternating between supplements like CoQ-10, reservatrol and others.

Any other tips?

Also: I'm a 26 year old female with no diagnosed health conditions who leads a pretty sedentary lifestyle.

eat almonds
eat a raw diet
exercise
stop using stimulants

take ubiquinol...its the precursor to co-q-10 so its way more effective in your body.

i was having chest pains and palpitations after mephedrone earlier this year and a few coke sessions. Taking it twice a day my heart was back to normal in about a month. My heart has been feeling fine ever since i started taking it.

Magnesium is from what I've read, supposed to be good for your heart. Also, the herb Motherwort seems to really help some people with racing hearts; I know a few who swear by it.

All those things above plus
1) Visit the doctor and tell him your family history and then do the blood tests he orders as well. There are genetic conditions that predispose people towards untimely death from cardiovascular causes. Good news is that these people usually also respond really well to the drugs people with high cholesterol for instance take just because they have a poor lifestyle.

2) Start an exercise program. Whatever you think you'll enjoy and stick to.

3) If you're happy to buy Co-Enzyme Q10 then you're probably also happy to buy Fish Oil. I'm no expert on what types are better than others. It could all be marketing rubbish for all I know. ps. At 26 you probably won't get much benefit from CoEn-Q10. Firstly the research that does exist has mixed results and mostly the people studied are well over 40. The average person's CoEn-Q10 levels don't start going down till around 40. Probably just because that is when lots of stuff starts to fail.

Thanks for the input! Definitely intrigued by ubiquinol and motherwort, and had forgotten about fish oil.

When I said everyone in my family dies from heart-related causes, I was referring to heart disease (stroke, congestive heart failure) from a lifetime of eating the typical Southern diet (double-salted, deep fried EVERYTHING) and lack of exercise. They all seem to live to ripe old ages though. Just trying to be pro-active :)

I also take a lot of ibuprofen for my menstrual cramps...and I mean a LOT. 20+ pills in a day sometimes, which is terrible for the heart. Going to try to find some other solutions, but not sure what else to do :\

eat almonds
eat a raw diet
exercise
stop using stimulants

I almost have to thank you for not recommending going to the doctor.

Lady Codone, you know what you need to do, deep down inside. It's actually ingrained in us the right types of things we should do to stay healthy. Good luck with everything and keep us updated.

Aww, thanks Simply Life! I agree completely and am going to try my damndest to preserve what health I have now by making some changes in the new year. Here's what I have decided:

*Reduce salt/increase potassium.
*Quit mephedrone and methylone for a month, and reduce the dose of propylhexedrine I use. If/when I resume the meph and methylone, it'll be in much more moderate doses.
*Reduce trans fat in the diet.
*Perform cardio 3x per week, strength training exercises 2x and yoga 2x per week.
*Invest in some ubiquinol, resveratrol, fish oil and zeolites, along with my current supplement regimen.
*Take time to de-stress every day.

Thanks for all the suggestions peeps! Wishing you all good health in 2011 <3